Pages

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9-11 (Patriot Day)

I am sure many of us will never forget exactly what we were doing when we found out what was happening. I happen to be in Tennessee packing up my car. I was moving that day from Tennessee to New Mexico. As I was going in and out to the car my neighbor came outside and screamed "They are bombing us!" I was a bit confused and asked him what he meant and he told me to turn on the news. I walked inside and turned on the T.V. There was nothing on, I turned the channel and there it was, I turned the channel again and once again there was the first tower smoking. I sat back in shock trying to find out what was going on. Then I saw the second tower being hit by the airplane. I can't remember after that how long I watched the TV, or even if I called anyone after that.

I still left that day for my long journey across the country. I listened to the radio for 10 hours that day until I stopped half way through my journey. The next day I flipped on the radio and listened to it again for another 10 hours.

A lot has changed since then, we are now in the military and because of that event security every where has become more strict. Yes, its good because we never want that to happen again, but sad in the fact that our world will never be the same.

I found this:

Patriot Day, 2008
A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America September 11, 2001, was etched into America's memory when 19 terrorists attacked us with barbarity unequaled in our history. On Patriot Day, we cherish the memory of the thousands of innocent victims lost, extend our thoughts and prayers to their families, and honor the heroic men and women who risked and sacrificed their lives so others might survive.

Since 9/11, we have recognized the threat posed by terrorists to the safety of the American people and worked to protect our homeland by fighting terrorists abroad. We are confronting terrorism by advancing freedom, liberty, and prosperity as an alternative to the ideologies of hatred and repression. Our Nation pays tribute to our courageous men and women in uniform serving around the world and the devoted members of our law enforcement, public safety, and intelligence communities at home who work night and day to protect us from harm and preserve the freedom of this great Nation.

Seven years ago, ordinary citizens rose to the challenge, united in prayer, and responded with extraordinary acts of courage, with some giving their lives for the country they loved. On Patriot Day, we remember all those who were taken from us in an instant and seek their lasting memorial in a safer and more hopeful world. We must not allow our resolve to be weakened by the passage of time. We will meet the test that history has given us and continue to fight to rid the world of terrorism and promote liberty around the globe.

By a joint resolution approved December 18, 2001 (Public Law 107-89), the Congress has designated September 11 of each year as "Patriot Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim September 11, 2008, as Patriot Day. I call upon the Governors of the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, as well as appropriate officials of all units of government, to direct that the flag be flown at half-staff on Patriot Day. I also call upon the people of the United States to observe Patriot Day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and remembrance services, to display the flag at half-staff from their homes on that day, and to observe a moment of silence beginning at 8:46 a.m. eastern daylight time to honor the innocent Americans and people from around the world who lost their lives as a result of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this eighth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand eight, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.

GEORGE W. BUSH

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was neat to read where you were and what you were doing. I had gone to my theatre class that morning and when we arrived our professor marsha told us what had happened with the first tower and class is excused. She said we could stay and watch it on the monitor or leave. I went back to my room and my friend came over and we were glued to the tv the entire day. Still had cc practice though (go figure) ate dinner and then we went back to my room to watch the night news.

sjt

Steven Montoya said...

I remember that morning. Waking up and turning on the T.V. right before leaving for work...my first year of teaching. By the time I had gotten to work another plane had gone down. The next few days I saw pictures of people on the T.V who had been on the planes, one of them who I knew. It was so sad. We had an assembly at our school and talked to the kids..unfortunatly many of them didn't understand what had really happened and the extent of it. Today I talked about it to many of my students, of course they were very young when it happened, but many of them had no idea what had happened, and what 9/11 even meant. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those families, and to those who fight for country.