Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Lunch at the seawall

Saturday morning I loaded up the car and pulled out at 5am to head to my garage sale.  I paid 15 dollars for a spot at the golf course where they let locals come.  At 530 they opened the gates and gave us all our spot and I started to unload my car.  There are some locals that buy and sell every weekend.  As I started to unload I had some coming up to my van helping unload and going through my items.  By 615 I had already made 100 dollars and the gates weren't even open to the public.  At 7am the gates opened and the locals where RUNNING from two gates.  It was the craziest thing I had ever seen.  They were everywhere.  I would say there were probably between 60-80 people selling items and hundreds of locals to buy.  It was so fast that I packed what was left back into the van and I was pulling out of the golf course by 930 and had made 270 dollars.  It was the easiest yard sale I have ever done and will do it again when I need to unload some junk.

Some highlights of those few hours were.
  • Watching an old man try on one of my belts from back in the day.  It was rhinestone studded with the words either FLIRT or HOTTIE on it.  He bought it and I chuckled. 
  • I have a large foot which equals to a Men's size 8 1/2.  One younger man tried on a pair of my nice boots with a zipper on the side.  Once again I laughed to myself.
  • I had a few items stolen.  I know this because the items missing had pairs or went with something.
  • An old lady almost broke her hip after slipping on a piece of plastic and falling down hard on the pavement.  She dropped her scale she had just bought, two Barney dolls and two Elmo dolls.  She hobbled away.  Poor thing.


Around lunch time we decided to go spend some of my money and have lunch at a Gyro place by the seawall.  On the way there I checked the tide chart and realized the tie was going to be out so I asked the boys if they would like to go look in the tide pools.  I leave the water shoes in the car because you never know when you will need them.  They boys and I had some much fun looking at the crabs, sea cucumbers, and sea urchins.  Joe was a trooper and carried around Chase so I could take photos.






There are usually no waves here in Okinawa but we have some stormes rolling in soon and the waves are picking up a bit.

4 comments:

Erica said...

How is the gyros place? We were down that direction a couple weeks ago and wanted to try it, but I couldn't remember where it was, which was truly unfortunate since I was having a huge craving. Is it worth trying to find it?

Stacey Cannon said...

Wow! What an experience! How fun was that?! And I love the pics... what a neat place to live!!

Anonymous said...

Ok. I'm home and can comment now. Anyway. Hope yall have a good day today! I'm off today and tomorrow. My time off goes by so fast. That sucks.

I got a lot of work done around the house. laundry, going through old clothes that don't fit (i think ur garage sale story inspired my fall cleaning)and caught up on emails.

I'm getting tired so I"m about to hit the sack. Ryan says hi!
Good night.
S

Anonymous said...

Dawn
Looking in the tide pools in the Bahamas growing up as a child, was one of my most favorite times! Looking at the sea urchins, spiney starfish, and little swimming creatures...I spent hours doing this...I love that the boys are experiencing this as well...we will have lots to talk about when I get there and when they grow up. I love you...I love all of you!
MIMI